Friday, November 2, 2012

On the way to Reggio Emilia: Venice Marathon


After spending two weeks in Stockholm visiting my sister and training with IFK Lidingö orienteers, last Saturday I ran the 27th edition of Venice Marathon. 
Differently than my first experience in 2010, in which I got an unexpected bronze medal in the Italian Championships, this year my physical shape wasn't ready for running a marathon yet. Therefore, on the way to get ready for Reggio Emilia marathon (next 9. December), I ran a test in order to check my real shape, looking for a better self-confidence. Although Venice Marathon is in my opinion one of the most beautiful marathon in the World, the weather conditions didn't allow the 8,000 runners to enjoy the course and the supporters (it wasn't actually a good day to get out of your home..). Wind was strongly blowing all the time and it was raining too. Furthermore, Venice was flooded. 
At first my goal was to run the whole marathon in 2h26m-2h27m, but after the beginning of the race I realized that such time was impossible, because of the wind. From the start of the race I lost the men's top runners group, becoming the (unofficial) women race pacemaker. I ran ahead the first women for 25km, then I tried to slowly increase my speed, but the wind on the bridge from Mestre to Venice didn't allow me to have a negative split. I finished my race in 2h30m46s reaching an unbelievable 9th place, which could be almost impossible to get with a normal conditions race, since I cought many of the men's top runners (which were almost walking like zombies) in the second part of the marathon. 
After the Venice Marathon experience, I definitely feel on the right path to Reggio Emilia. Only few weeks are left and November is not the best month to enjoy the training sessions for a marathon, but I will try to stay focused on my goal for the whole time. The Venetian test gave a good feedback and the fear of failing the race is growing day by day. But this is the game (or at least part of it!).

  1. KISANG PHILEMON KIPCHUMBA (KENIA) - 02:17:00
  2. MASAI TITUS KWEMOI (KENIA) - 02:18:21
  3. KARANJA ELIJA (KENIA) - 02:19:41
  4. RICATTI DOMENICO (C.S. AERONAUTICA MILITARE) - 02:19:43
  5. AWASH HABTAMU FIKADU (ETIOPIA) - 02:21:00
  6. KORIR PATRICK KIPTANUI (KENIA) - 02:24:58
  7. BOUDALIA SAID (ATL.BIOTEKNA MARCON) - 02:27:50
  8. ROGNONI DARIO (ATL. DA PAURA) - 02:30:30
  9. SIMION GIANCARLO (SILCA ULTRALITE VITTORIO V.TO) - 02:30:46
  10. NDIWA ROBERT (KENIA) - 02:30:48
  11. IVUTI PATRICK MUTUKU (KENIA) - 02:32:29
  12. RUNGGER HANNES (SPORTLER TEAM) - 02:36:17 


No comments:

Post a Comment